Chikkballapur district is a district in the state of Karnataka, India. In 2007, it was carved out of the pre-existing Kolar district by moving the talukas of Gauribidanur, Gudibanda, Bagepalli, Chikballapur, Sidlaghatta and Chintamani into the new district.
The town of Chikballapur is the district headquarters and a key transport link in the North Bangalore area. The north-south six-lane National Highway 7 (NH-7) as well as the East-West State Highway 58 go through the district. A rail line runs north from Bangalore to the town of Chikballapur, east past Doddaganjur to Srinivaspur and south to the town of Kolar.
The name of this town was originally Chinna Balaporum. Originating from either Tamil or Telugu for Chinna meaning small while "balla" means the measure to quantify food grains, and "pura" means "town". According to a popular legend, the Marigowda, the son of the chief Avathimalla Biregowda, was hunting one day in the Kodimanchanahalli forest. He found a rabbit standing fearlessly in front of hunting dogs. Excited by this, the chief told his son that it was a sign of the boldness of the local people. So, he obtained permission from the king of Vijayanagara and built a fort and a town. This in course of time developed into the town of Chickballapur. During the rule of Baichegowda, the king of Mysore attacked the fort but had to withdraw due to the interference of Marathas. Dodda Byregowda, who came to power after Baichegowda, resumed control of the territories seized earlier by Mysore. In 1762, during the rule of Chikkappanayaka, Hyder Ali laid siege the town for a period of three months. Then Chikkappanayaka agreed to pay 5-lakhs pagodas, and the army was withdrawn.
After this, Chikkappa Nayaka with the help of Murariraya of Gooty tried to get back his powers. He was hiding at Nandi hills along with Chikkappa Nayaka. Immediately Hyder Ali took Chickballapur and other places and arrested Chikkappa Nayaka. Then with interfere of Lord Cornwallis, Chickballapur was handed over to Narayanagowda.some sources suggest that lord cornvallis visited the temple of shiva in peresandra which is 18 km off of chikkaballapur.in few references british text suggest that peresandra has a tremendous history After knowing this, Tipu Sultan again acquired Chikballapur. In 1791 British occupied Nandi & left Narayanagowda to rule the town. Due to this fight between Britishers and Tipu Sultan again started. Narayanagowda lost his administration. Later on the British defeated Tipu Sultan. Chickballapur also came under the administration of Wodeyars of Mysore, which is now a part of Karnataka.
At an altitude of 1468m above sea level, is the Nandi Hills resort. What used to be the favourite summer gateway of Tipu Sultan, is now a popular picnic spot with its awesome fort, sprawling lawns and two ancient temples. A fantastic, awe-inspiring cliff fall of almost 2000 feet is known as Tipu’s Drop, the views from which are simply stupendous. The stone fortress on the hill is of special interest to students of history.
This town is famous for its gold and silver trade and agarbathi (incense) industry. One of the oldest dargahs in Karnatak, the Murugamulla dargah of Fakhi Shah Wali is situated 8 km from here. This dargah draws thousands of pilgrims during its annual Urs.
A commercial town. Temples of Chennakeshava and Veerabhadra are worth visiting here.
It has an enchanting temple dedicated to Lord GAnesha, the elephant-headed God. This temple has no permanent deity.
Present near Nandi hills. It is birthplace of Sir. M. Visveswaraya.
It is a famous spiritual spot, here Kalagnani Sri Narayana Swami who written “Kalagnana” lived in 13th century AD.